Sunday, December 4, 2011

Baking with Stevia

Today I began experimenting with how to bake with stevia.  Unfortunately I am out of eggs and butter.  The Stevia in the Raw that I used had printed instructions saying that I could use it like sugar 1 to 1.  I just make a no egg cakey sweet bread with whole wheat flour, a bit of baking powder and stevia instead of sugar and oil instead of eggs.  I also used kiefer yogurt, a banana, and vanilla.  It turned out edible but with an aftertaste of stevia.

This is a good start for learning to bake without sugar, using whole grains, and yogurt, but I have a long way to go.

Next experiment will be with unbleached white flour, eggs, and butter and about half as much stevia with apples rather than banana.

I baked this version in a 9 inch lined cake pan with the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  I also need to lower the temperature a little or decrease the cooking time a bit.

Eating it with butter and a glass of milk made it more palatable.   I'm thinking that using it like bread and eating it with peanut butter smeared on it might be good.  

An almond and cinnamon crumb topping might also be good. 

I enjoy baking but I need to do it in a healthy way and sugar and fake sugars are not good for humans so I'm trying some alternatives.  I used to use honey but I'm trying to use low glycemic ingredients.

The best page I've found on Stevia


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments!